After School Programming: Elementary and Middle School
Community Roots offers free extensive afterschool programming for all students. It features a wide-range of programming including dance, music, art, film-making, writing, chess, athletics, meditation, and gardening. These enrichment classes give students the opportunity to work with classmates from different grades, helping to strengthen the school community. Instructors and coaches include members of the CRCS full-time staff, as well as professional artists, musicians and educators.CRCS works to build partnerships with community-based organizations with track records of success such as LPZ Cinetech, Learning Through Chess,and BEAT Global.
Elementary School [K-5th]
- CRCS Elementary After School Program is offered weekly, Tuesday through Friday, from 3:45pm to 6pm.
- Daily, students engage in three periods of after school programming: one period of snack time; one period of homework help, with individualized academic support and an emphasis on reading; and one period of enrichment classes to complement the school day’s academic focus. The enrichment classes give students the chance to explore and enjoy activities across multiple disciplines.
Middle School [6th-8th]
- Brooklyn College Community Partnership has partnered with CRMS to provide after school programming. Classes include magazine, step, yearbook, Girls Who Code, and STEM, among others.
- Team Sports are offered through the Charter School Athletic League. These teams are co-ed volleyball, girls’ and boys’ basketball, or co-ed soccer after school. Co-ed running is also offered.
- Performing Arts is offered both as a class and through extended programming. Middle School students can audition for one of two school wide productions. There will be open auditions for students for our school play, which shows in the fall, and our school musical, which shows in the spring.